Thursday, May 26, 2011

Esteban

Esteban is playing in the MWC Championship this week and I miss him. So far they have one one and lost one. He is actually playing another game right this second. In honor of his last baseball week of the season I thought I would right a little about Esteban's baseball career. (remember this is from my point of view so the stories might be exaggerated to make Stephen look better and my baseball knowledge comes to about less than 0 but it's my blog so I win).

Stephen's mom says she noticed Stephen was different  the moment she started taking him to baseball games. The Wells are from Seattle so they would go to a lot of Mariners' games. Six boys one mom one dad in a 3 hour 9 inning baseball game? doomed for disaster right? not with Stephen. Cindy (my mother in law) says that most of her boys would end up running around and whining they wanted to go home cause it was cold but not Stephen. He would sit quietly and absorb everything that was going on. He loved major league baseball.

It was only uphill from then on. He was three-time all-league at Inglemoor High ... voted most inspirational player on team as a senior. Latter on when he played at BYU and was named to the Mountain West Conference All-Tournament Team ... selected Honorable Mention Freshman All-American by Ping!Baseball and Academic All-Mountain West Conference ... ended the season with a current 15-game hitting streak ... had an eight-game hitting streak earlier in the season ... was on base 10 consecutive times against Utah.  (for those who think I'm bragging I am. Stephen is worth bragging and since he won't do it I will).
Stephen wasn't always a baseball star (yes honey you are a star even if you don't want to). Stephen suffered his first year at BYU from a disease we all have experienced sometime in our life. Homesickness. He hated school, he didn't want to play baseball and one day he called his mom and said, "mom I'm coming home." My mother in law, being the wise lady that she is told Stephen he could walk if he wanted to come home cause she wasn't buying him a ticket. Stephen struggled with this until he went on a mission and became a man. Just saying. then a year later he met a wonderful girl who inspired him to be better and was so fun he sometime forgot she was his girlfriend and called her dude. He still does that. 

Let me tell you,between you and me, Stephen is the nicest guy but the moment he goes into the field he becomes an angry maniac. We all refer to it as his hockey temper. We are all grateful he plays centerfield so no one can here him yelling at umpires when they make a "bad call". He was also caught on camera once hitting the wall (he claims he was just trying to put the bat away but it's on tape I have proof) after he striked out. Don't get me wrong thought the root of this is Stephen's undying love for baseball. He LOVES baseball. I have learned from him that if you want to be good at something you have to commit to it and work the hardest you can at it. And never ever give up. I am really proud of him and I know he will accomplish great things in life.










No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online